Chickpea salad with vinaigrette
Chickpeas are rich in dietary fibre which is great for digestion. They are also a great source of protein, and an excellent source of manganese. They can boost energy because of their high iron content so they are great for pregnant or breastfeeding mums and growing children.
They have a low GI which means the carbohydrate in them is broken down and digested slowly, this helps keep your appetite in check and stabilize your blood sugars.
- ¼ cup finely minced shallot or onion
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- ¾ cup cooked black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3-4 handfuls kale, spinach, silver beet or beetroot greens
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
To make the dressing - Place minced shallot or onion, white wine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey or maple syrup, and to taste, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper in a jar. Seal and shake vigorously until well combined. Let sit for at least 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preferences.
To make the salad - Cut the avocado in half and discard the stone. Chop the flesh into a small bowl and toss with a squeeze or two of lemon juice to help prevent browning. Finely slice the kale/spinach/beet leaves.
Just before serving, in a large mixing bowl, combine all salad ingredients together.
Pour about half the dressing over the top and toss with salad tongs or a large fork and spoon to thoroughly blend the ingredients and coat lightly with the dressing.
Top with a big squeeze of lemon, and salt and pepper to taste. Add more dressing, if needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy!